27.3.07

All systems 60.

Well, regardless of cheesiness, Operes Insecti is now online. As such, I'm abandoning this mess. I thought it would be a thrill to have my own domain, but all I feel now is that it’s about time I got one. Meh.


Anyway, now that I’ve got all comfy with mephisto and started playing with the built-in markup languages, I feel even more behind the times. Textile? Markdown? Such sophisticated tools for such a simple task! Now that I’m actually using them, though, I’m starting to see a reason for each of them, and their quirks.


Textile is wonderfully concise, which is nice for comments and wikis, and it has many useful features that make it ideal for traditional websites, but its syntax is a bit…involved. Markdown solves that, at the cost of the more advanced features like acronym tagging and class/id parameters, but its excellent readability and intuitive syntax makes it convenient (for me) for blog posts.


I’m quite surprised at the flame wars that have erupted between their purposefully unique syntaxes. It seems often the case in language wars that each side attempts to pass off their language as the one to end all others, failing to see its inevitable shortcomings that make it a poor choice for some tasks.

No comments: